This strategy will help students to:
- tune into and critically analyse a healthy relationships or sexuality topic or issue.
- Use a picture book or simple novel as a starting point or to reinforce key messages and understandings.
- Provide students with a short period of time to preview the text silently either individually or as a group.
- Ask students to share their predictions of the main ideas with a partner or the class. Suggested question prompts include:
What do you think the story will be about?
How do you know?
- After reading, use these prompts to help students to think critically about the text:
How did the illustrations make you feel?
What is the message of this story?
What would the character/s have felt like? Have you ever felt like that?
What feelings did the other characters in the story show? Why?